Plugin that enables Windows Media Player to playback FLV files
Features all default functions, such as zooming, skipping and full screen view
Creates file association: Double-click FLV files to play them in Windows Media Player
This program installs and registers FLVSplitter by Gabest. It binds FLV files to Windows Media Player, enabling playback of FLV files by double-clicking them. The installer prompts to download and install ffdshow, required for movies in Flash 7 file format. An uninstaller is included in the package.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are FLV files?FLV stands for Flash Video format. Besides the existing formats like mpg, avi, Quicktime en RealMedia, the Flash video format is becoming more and more popular. Online, the Flash Player can playback Flash videos. Offline, you need a program like PlayFLV to play Flash videos.
- Where can I get FLV files?Popular websites like Google Video and YouTube use Flash Video. If you have FireFox installed, you can use the DownloadHelper extension to download this videos.
- I get a message stating that the filetype is unknown. What’s this?FLV is not a native Windows Media Player format. Therefore, WMP shows a security warning when opening a FLV movie for the first time. Check the ‘don’t ask again’ checkbox and click yes to play the movie.
- I get a black screen while playing movies (‘missing codec’). What’s wrong?(Re-)install ffdshow. Make sure that ‘FLV1’ is checked in the configuration.
- An offline standalone FLV player is available here.
- This program only installs the FLV playback component for Windows Media Player. You can also install a codec pack like K-lite, which not only installs the FLV component but also dozens of other video playback components.
PlayFLV is a project by Barend.nu.
Free and open source
Very lightweight plugin